Once you are done rummaging through terabytes of ‘Guru Wisdom’ that doesn’t work anymore and wasting your mandatory first-time ‘SEO budget’ on an agency that still lives in la-la land, it’s time to think about practical SEO techniques that don’t break the bank, yet help your website budge ahead in the SERPS.
Contrary to what most people would like you to believe, SEO in 2017 is neither difficult nor impossible to execute.
It’s true. The landscape has undergone a sea of change from what it used to be a few years ago. Formulaic strategies don’t work anymore. But the changes are only for the better.
Today, we share you with a bunch of SEO ‘hacks’ that are perfect for newbie internet marketers as well as DIY-crazy online businessmen. By the end of this blog post, you’ll be armed with enough arsenal to get the ball rolling and also to tackle any snake-oil SEO corporation out to rob you off your hard earned money.
- Find the right keywords: Now, there’s probably a gazillion pages of literature floating out there on keyword research. Yet, this is where most new businesses get it wrong. This is the most fundamental technique that you need to master before you even take one single step ahead. The right set of keywords is going to help you gain targeted traffic that possibly converts into business, without having to compete with a ‘giant’ in your niche. The idea is to find the ‘low competition ones’ and there’s plenty of them out there. Hack: Poach keyword ideas from your competitor’s website. Once you have a set of keywords to play around with, tap into forums and social platforms to discover more nuggets related to them. If there’s a lot of chatter about a keyword or a topic, then it pays to incorporate it into your marketing strategy.
- Strategize your Content: Does this sound familiar? It’s because it is familiar. You have heard it a thousand times already. The caveat is that there’s a way to use it. Remember what we told you about those nuggets? Start with those and create answers to questions that your potential customers may have. It creates a sense of authority about you and you have an excellent chance of being featured in the Google Snippets section, which by the way is touted to get bigger in the years to come.
- Webmaster tools: So, Google has created a set of guidelines that it wants everybody who’s trying to rank, to follow. And yet, most people new to SEO jump the gun and skip it altogether as if it were some painstakingly boring algebra class. If you have still not spent some time on Webmaster tools, then this is the right time. Read tutorials, try to use the tools yourself and identify possible errors on your website. It’s simple. It’s basic. But it’s effective. More importantly, it’s necessary.
- Get a Mobile website: That’s a no brainer. Get your website mobile optimized if it still isn’t. Don’t even get started on why it needs to be mobile optimized. Just do it for Christ’s sake. Hack: Read up on AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)
- Speed is good: Google is handing out candies to websites that promotes good user engagement. One of the most important factors is page speed. And by fast, we mean blinding, blink-of-an-eye fast. If your website still crawls in the real sense, hire a programmer/developer and speed it up. It’s a simple hack that can reap rich dividends.
- Use Media: If you have an excellent content piece, don’t let it languish only on your website in the form of mundane text. Create a tutorial video and publish on YouTube, which happens to be the second biggest search engine in the world. Make an infographic and distribute it. If you are a novice to all this, hire someone who can. Those will nail you links by the way.
If you expected the ‘SEO Hacks’ to be a secret set of codes that would help propel your website into ranking glory, then sorry to disappoint. Think of these like the foundation for SEO that will help you immensely as your business grows.